Pages

Saturday 7 February 2015

Don't smile until Easter

Whoever decided that teachers needed to be scary, mean and authoritative really didn't think about the consequences.
Once again I've been reminded that I need to not smile until Easter. This is something I don't really agree with. I am generally a happy person, and want to make school a fun, safe place for students to be. I loved school despite all the hang ups I had with learning and I think that was because of a few teachers who made the effort to get to know me.

This first week back at school - my 5th as a teacher has been the best yet. No matter how long you've been teaching you only get the start of the year once a year - and you need to start as you mean to go on. I've started by trying to get to know my students and by letting them get to know me. I don't want to be the robot teacher who kids are shocked to see in the supermarket. I want them to know I am human and have a life outside of my classroom.

This term my class and others in the year 8 team are learning about the human brain. We want our students to know how to learn, and the importance of looking after the brain. One thing that I have found in my research about the brain over the years is that the reptilian part of our brain overrides everything.  http://www.copingskills4kids.net/Reptilian_Coping_Brain.html
Fear is one of the primitive instinctive brain functions - so if someone is experiencing fear - they have three options - flight, fight or freeze.

If I want the students in my class to be able to learn, I need to remove the fear factor. I want them to feel safe enough to be willing and able to learn. 

This week has been about setting boundaries, and getting to know each other. Yes I have made myself clear about my expectations. Yes the students have had a say in how they want the classroom to be. Most students have told me something about themselves and their lives, and I have told them a little about my life. I believe that if we communicate how we are feeling - especially when we aren't feeling that great - and likely to be grumpy, our students will see that we are human and respect that. To them I will not a bomb that could go off at anytime.

Over the last two years I have recognised the importance of building relationships with students. As a beginning teacher I felt that I had to be in control, and I was the robot teacher who lived in a classroom. I was the teacher I hated at school. If I want to be the difference in these students lives - then I need to be different from last centenaries teachers.

This year I started as I intend to go on. I smiled when I read out my class list and welcomed my students to the Awesome Room 1. I also rang home and introduced myself to all parents in my class. I want to make positive contact with home this year. Most parents were a little weary as to why I was calling - immediately going to "my child is in trouble."

It is my mission to make school a place where my students feel safe enough to take risks, make mistakes and FAIL -  First Attempt's at Learning. I believe that if they take risks, they will become confident life long learners.

Even if that means smiling before Easter.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachael,

    I'm a B.Teaching (Secondary) student and our central provocation for Curriculum, Pedagogy and Practice this semester is "Don't smile until Easter." I have to agree with you. Being genuine beats being "the boss".

    Your blog post is now my secondary reading for this fortnight, btw! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete