Pages

Sunday 22 February 2015

What do I have to share?


Last year I didn't apply for Google Academy because I didn't think I had anything to say or share.
Then my principal said my next step was to share my journey as a teacher, and the authentic learning experiences that happen in my class - he said he was looking forward to seeing me present at conferences. Again I was lost - what do I have to say or share that others want to hear? Or haven't heard before! 

I take risks as a teacher - and am always willing to try new things out - I'm not afraid that it might go wrong - there is always a backup plan, or something else to do if it doesn't work out. I try to make my lessons interesting for all students. I try to teach students to take risks, as learning is not about being successful the first time, its about the journey you take to get there. Yet I am not always willing to take risks in front of my peers. 

Educamp seems to be the baby step I need to share my ideas with my peers. Its one thing talking to the like minded teachers at school - its a whole other thing sharing with a captivated audience at a conference.  The purpose of EduCampNZ is to learn and contribute. I am definately not afraid of learning, or contributing. Educamps are an unconference, The sharing of ideas that are tried and tested in the classroom - shared with people who want to learn more, or find out more about the tool or way of doing things. Its informal social gathering of teachers who are wanting to learn and contribute ideas. 

I really like this idea of meeting people face to face to discuss, and share ideas. I was a little jealous of all the great Twitter people I follow heading off to #educamprotovegas
One tweet lead to a meeting with the great @Allanahk  and @nickitempero. Educamp Marlborough was born!  

I am really excited to hear from others - and potentially share my own learning experiences. Those who I have told about Educamp (non twitter peeps - who I am slowly working on converting) are really keen to come along. Not long now until Marlborough & the top of the South educators get to share, contribute, and learn from each other. 

Save the Date:
Saturday 23 May 2015
Keep an eye on this space:
http://educampnz.wikispaces.com/Educamp+Marlborough


What do you want to learn more about? 

What would you contribute? 








5 comments:

  1. A nice reflection on your journey. Spreading the word is great.

    Looking forward to it.

    Cheers

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Rachel, awesome to see the plans and ideas developing for your event in May. Twitter has definitely been a plus for spreading the word but nothing beats those opportunities to connect with like minds face to face. Will add your Twitter feed to the wiki too. #EduCampMB ?
    cheers
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona - #EduCampMB it is! I am really looking forward to it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Fiona - #EduCampMB it is! I am really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. Awesome, Rachael! That's fantastic! All the best with educampMB. I agree, nothing beats catching up face to face. Are you coming to #gafe summit South? Or heading North?

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete