Pages

Friday 26 September 2014

Dyslexia - the strengths



Instead of focusing on the negative the struggles and standards they are failing - I am always trying to persuade students in my class that they have strengths they need to use to their advantage.

As a teacher I see many students struggling, not all have labels that explain their difficulties, or have files of strategies that help them. My main goal and philosophy as a teacher is that school should be a place that students want to be. In order to achieve this I ask students regularly about what they want to learn, and how they best learn. Most students know what they want to know more about, and what they love to do. I just need to make these things fit the curriculum in our tight and busy timetable. 

Dyslexic students are usually creative thinkers. They often solve problems in ways that other students haven't even thought of. 

Things that my students have been excessively good at include drawing, using devices to take photos and annotate, comic books, hands on tasks, and project based learning. Inquiry is often an area that allows our students who struggle to fly. They have questions, and find their own way to answer them. 

I know some of my statements are generalisations, and are based on my own experiences as a learner with difficulties and my brothers experiences at school as a dyslexic student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment