Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

Reasons behind

I have always loved school. I couldn't wait to go to school and learn more. I love books, reading, art,  drama etc. 

However I have had trouble with writing, spelling and processing for as long as I could remember. School was hard, I worked my butt off and still only scraped by pass rates. I "failed" U.E and couldn't go to University with my school friends. When I was 20 before I applied to The University of Auckland for "Special Admission". I was accepted and had assistance from the Student Learning Services. I will never forget the diagnosis I received from
the psychology department - the words jumped off the page "specific learning difficulties" and "profound spelling difficulty". They haunted my 3 years at university. It did mean that when I left university with my Arts degree, I was really proud. 

For all of that, I have always loved reading, and learning. I have always been curious and wanted to know more, and figure out what would happen if, and what next.

I do have a lot of hook ups about our education system, the teachers I had and how they labelled students like me as failures. Failures because my writing wasn't up to standard, and my handwriting was shocking and because I constantly asked why I had to do things that way, and why I had to learn the way they wanted me to. Don't get me wrong, I had some great teachers too. 

I became a teacher because of my love of learning, and because of those great teachers who taught me in a way that was flexible and encouraging. Those great teachers I had, who sparked curiosity and inspired students to ask questions, and find their own style of learning. They also gave me an opportunity to explore the world around me in an authentic way. They definitely didn't make me copy screeds of information from the blackboard and expect me to understand it. 

I aspire to inspire. I want all my students to learn, and love learning. To be curious, life long learners regardless of difficulties. 


No comments:

Post a Comment