Pages

Monday 25 August 2014

Work free weekends

I had an amazing weekend - but had what expense? I had the Sunday night guilt's. I shouldn't have done that - I should have gone to school.
I know this isn't just a JOB - it is a vocation. It is something that I am never going to be finished doing. However there is a limit to how much time I can spend doing this job - so occasionally I take time out to have adventures.

I have lived in Marlborough for 3.5years this weekend for the first time I went out on a boat, explored the Queen Charlotte Sound and watched my friends dive for scallops. I relaxed, read my book and enjoyed the sunshine. I attempted to catch a fish, I drove a boat. These were new things for me and were exciting. I was learning new things, and I was doing them outside of school.

I know its important to have time away from school - I try very hard not to take work home with me. However in this technological day and age I am at finger tip reach of all my students. I get emails, I get sent writing work, I get asked questions and I have parents asking me about home learning. I try very hard to have device free days - but always get suckered into checking Twitter or Facebook, which in turn leads to me checking my school email.

Reasons for having time out for myself:

  • Stress less
  • Relax more
  • more to share with my students
  • BALANCE

What do you do to get away from school? How do you re-charge your batteries? Do you have any advice for someone who is a self declared work-a-holic?


No comments:

Post a Comment